Updated: Apr 17, 2020
As well as being fun, fast and providing children with their first taste of mobile independence here are our top 5 reasons why we think EVERY child should learn to ride a bike:
1. Regularly riding a bike will help your child keep fit and healthy as well as helping them feel awesome :)
2. Helps to establish healthy exercise habits that are likely to stay with them for life. This has never been more important in society today with 9.5% of reception age children (age 4-5) are obese, with a further 12.8% overweight at age 10-11 (year 6).
3. Bikes get children socialising with friends and exploring their local area. Grab the squad and head to the woods to build a ramp or two or ride to the local park for a kick around, the places you can get to on a bike never cease to amaze.
4. Provides children with an active mode of transport, great for when they land that first job and mum or dad's taxi is unavailable!
5. Increases coordination and balance which are important motor skills. This will also help your child in other sports or activities including football and dancing. So there you have we could have gone on and on but we promised you 5 at the start and we are not one to break a promise!
Did you know children can NOW start to learn to ride a bike from 18 months thanks to balance bikes which we use at all of our learn to cycle courses as these help children develop balance and steering which are fundamental to learning to ride a bike. If your child is at the other end of the age scale the good news is it is never too late to learn! Our top tip is to use a bike with the pedals removed to sit on the saddle and scoot to gain a strong sense of balance before eventually attaching the pedals.
Once they have learnt and are flying around not only will your child enjoy all of the benefits of riding a bike but they feel amazing and their self confidence will rocket!
Cycling is a great activity to enjoy as a family so once the kids are sorted why not head out together for some fun, freedom and fresh air :)